Pages

Friday, June 11, 2010

Visual Literacy

Bookmark and Share
I have been thinking a lot about this weeks lecture "Lets get visual" and how I respond to visuals in comparison to text.  I find that large amounts of isolated text can be overwhelming, but when images are added I find the information much more accessible.  


I bought a new umbrella by Amelia-Jane.Throughout my university experiences I have witnessed PowerPoint presentations where tiny bullet points are read off of slides with standard backgrounds.  I do not understand why so many people resort to these kinds of presentations.  It is not effective by any means; I find myself struggling to stay engaged and awake.  Yet these presentations have become the standard.

I may not have learned a whole lot from the presentations themselves, but there is one thing I do know...  I will not repeat what has been modelled to me.  Instead I will create slides using interesting images with short summary statements. Any additional information can be organized in a handout.

Also, there are many alternatives to PowerPoint including prezi, sliderocket, and keynote.
Image from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/77856873@N00/3289073349/


Here is a Phasr I created on the topic of visual literacy using a flickr toy by Pimpampum.

More of my thoughts about visuals:
Wordle
Wordle: Visualize

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger