Pages

Friday, June 4, 2010

I Love Technology

Bookmark and Share

This video on social media got me thinking about ways I use social media and technology in general.  I have to say I am not sure what I would do without my laptop and the Internet.


How cool is it that...
-I can find accurate information on almost any topic with sites like Wikipedia and Britannica.
-I can find how to videos on almost anything with YouTube or google video.
-I can find pictures of anything ranging from different flower species to types of interior design with flickr.
-I can create my own videos using helpful tools such as animoto, or one true media.  
-I can publish my videos on YouTube where anyone can view them.
-I can publish my own website at ease using sites like weebly or snappages.
-I can create a blog using wordrdpress or blogspot and share my thoughts and ideas about any topic and have people from around the world read and comment on what I said.  
-I can ask any question to Google ranging from how long to cook a boiled egg, to what time zone is Saskatchewan.
-Using allrecipes I can find recipes, read other peoples reviews and suggestions, and create a customized shopping list based on recipes I choose.  With Cookthing I can search for recipes according to the ingredients I have in my house.
-I can visit my Goolgereader account and find out what is happening in the world, read my favorite blogs, and read about the latest fashion all in one spot.
-I can find simple directions on how to get to anywhere, check current traffic conditions, and virtually explore the image of the place I want to go to using Googlemaps.
-I can type in a friends name into Facebook who I have not seen in several years and be able to communicate with them, see their pictures, and find out what they have been up to.  
-I can follow teachers on Twitter from around the world and ask them for advice and opinions and receive quick replies.  
-I can view products in online stores such as Amazon and Ebay in the comfort of my home and order them to be dropped off at my doorstep.  

How are you using social media and technology? 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hm, I loved this post! I don't even realize what I use technology for and how amazing it really is! Maybe I'm the only one but it has altered the way society lives and if we (or this is for me anyway) acknowledge this it may be easier to see why it is so important to promote it. This is Marley by the way ha.

Anonymous said...

Anne I LOVED this post and the video. There were two ideas that struck me most. First off 80% of twitter usage is on a mobile device; I have not yet put twitter on my phone for reasons of being cheap and not wanting to pay for internet but back to the point, I feel behind in the times since I have to wait to come home before tweeting. Second point we no longer search for the news, the news finds us. Isn't that exactly what happens on Twitter! I do not have to visit 4-5 online newspapers, instead I can be linked to the most important topics through my followers in Twitter. This video got me thinking even more about how important this class is and thanks again for showing it!

DGossard said...

Hi Anne, I loved this post. I just posted a very similar video which even used the same song! Yours had more newer facts! So I am glad to see that one. I also really enjoyed seeing all the ways you use technology. I also use it in many similar ways!
Great post, have a good weekend.
-Danielle

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger