Pages

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Letting go of the reins...

Bookmark and Share









Image from http://www.flickr.com/photos/7902980@N02/3508008537/


I recently wrote a posting about using technology in a student-centered way.  I described how teachers should move away from focusing on showing a video, creating a class blog, or presenting a Powerpoint and instead should have their students find and create videos on a topic, blog their ideas, and present information to their peers.

Gillian challenged me with her question "Do you feel any stress giving up that control over technology?"   This reminded me of a day I was in the classroom when a student asked me if they could see my camera and I said no.  Looking back I don't see why I couldn't have taken the time to show the child my camera.  I have decided to look at some of fears/reasons that could possibly prevent teachers from giving students control over technology, so I can overcome possible fears/reasons for not wanting to give students control over technology in my internship.

Having students create the class wiki, website, or blog
Fears:  It won't look "right", I won't be organized properly, students will get stuck or confused, it will take to much time.

Having students present information to their peers using a Powerpoint, Prezi, Digital story
Fears:  They won't cover all the important concepts, they won't explain it clearly enough, it will take to much time, they will get confused or frustrated with the technology.

Having students set up a projector, Smartboard etc.  
Fear: They will wreck expensive equipment, if they press the wrong thing it could be impossible to figure out how to undo it, it will take more time.

Having students find videos to illustrate a concept.
Fears:  They will come across inappropriate material, they wont find the most beneficial video.

Letting students use video cameras and cameras.
Fears: It will get broken, the pictures won't look "right", they will use it inappropriately.

....I could keep going but I'm sure you get the picture.

And yes, the most natural instinct for solving these kinds of fears is to keep all these tools to ourselves.  However, students will never benefit and gain skills needed in todays technological world.   Also, what happens once we are gone.  If our ultimate goal is to foster life-long learning we need to give students the opportunities to learn without us holding their hand every step of the way.

So instead I suggest that we provide guidance on how to use the technology, expect them to be responsible with expensive equipment, and work with them instead of taking over if they get stuck.  If something does go wrong and the formatting on the class website is all wacky, so what?  I know that I have messed up the formatting on my blog before but that means that I had to research how to fix it.  We would never learn if we didn't dig in, play, and make mistakes; and our students are the same way.  So it's time to let go of the reins.

Here is a video with some additional ways to foster student-centered learning.


video from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7bbC2ka8j4

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the follow up post. I appreciate the honesty you wrote with as I can agree with all the fears/reasons you listed. The one I struggle most with is it not looking "perfect". That is based on personal characteristics but it is very hard to let go. I remember my pre-intern teacher not allowing the kids to use the technology and being very fearful so in turn I acted the same way. Thanks to your blogging I feel confident that my internship experience will be more beneficial to the students.

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger