Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Behind the Scenes: My ECMP 455 Project

Bookmark and Share
Image from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97765575@N00/6263264/
Blood by GoodDayHexatron.I used questions to organize my thoughts about my project for this class: My Technology Toolbox.  


What Do I want to Learn?
For my class project I decided to continue a blog of web 2.0 tools that I started a while ago as a reference for teaching.  

Why a blog?
I thought of creating a website but I thought I might run out of pages.  I also considered simply using my delicious account but I wanted something more visual.  I ended up choosing a blog because I have the freedom to include pictures, videos, and other embedded content, I can use categories to organize my posts, and it is easy to continue.

Why Web 2.0 when there are other blogs like this?
Although there are many great resources out there with web 2.0 tools, I wanted to create my own resource because the process of organizing and finding sites helps me remember and understand what is out there.  Also, because I use many sources to find my sites I hope to create a unique resource.

How is my resource organized?
The main page features all my blog posts on different tools.  All of my posts are organized into categories or feature a specific site that did not fit into a category. The page on my site titled Web 2.0 Stuff features an organized list of all the posts I have written; it is essentially a site map.  I also have general categories on the sidebar of my blog.  There is also a post rss feed and a comment rss feed for those who want to subscribe to posts or comments.

How did I find my resources?
I have found resources from many different sources.  I subscribe to a growing number of technology blogs which I have featured on the left side of my web 2.0 blog.  Sometimes I find resources directly from these blogs and sometimes they lead me to other technology blogs or sites where I find resources.  I also find resources through other peoples posts on twitter or by asking if anyone knows of specific tools (ex. timeline creators).  Other ways include searching Google, using SimilarSites, and browsing through Go 2 Web 20.

What is the process?  
I have been finding tons of sites and sometimes it is overwhelming because I want to keep my posts organized.  So I come up with headings and list the resources I find under various headings.  Then when a list gets long enough I can make it into a post.  I have about 10 lists that I have yet to write about.  Also, sometimes I go back into posts I already created and add new resources.

When will I be finished?
 There are always be new web 2.0 sites being developed so my project can continue forever! Although I probably will not post as often as I have been during this class, I intend to continue working on this project because I am excited about using technology in my future classroom.  

So now you have the inside scoop for my ECMP 455 project.... if you want to check out my actual project here is the link to My Technology Toolbox.  


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger