Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

Using Technology in a Student-centered Way

Bookmark and Share

I have been thinking about how I want to incorporate technology into my upcoming internship.  In my pre-internship I incorporated technology into the classroom but did not do it in a way that involved the students.  I set up a blog, I showed video clips to enhance their learning, and I created an iMovie of their learning at the end of the three weeks.  I am not saying that I would have done anything differently.  In the context of my pre-internship these were appropriate ways to incorporate technology.  However, in my upcoming internship I want to work towards involving student more with technology.  Here are some of the possibilities I have come up with:

- Have students setup a classroom wiki, blog, or website.  
- Have students take pictures  
- Have students take video footage
- Have students create a digital story 
- Have students create a slideshow 
- Have students set up their own website, blog, wiki, or glog .  
- Have students use digital tools to create timelines, mind-maps, charts, comics, pamphlets, posters 
- Have students collaborate using a wiki or Google Docs
- Have students find interactive games to teach a concept or provide information
- Have students find video clips to teach a concept or provide information
- Have students use Internet resources to research a topic
- Have students set up a projector, Smarboard, etc.


Yes, I will be interning in a grade 3/4 classroom so some of the things I listed may be more appropriate for older children.  However, I think we often underestimate younger children who are becoming exposed to technology at a younger and younger age.  Kathy Cassidy's grade one class blogs regularly.    They use Class Blogmeister a great way site for blogging in primary classrooms.  So don't be scared to provide opportunities for young students to use computers and other tech devices. 


I don't think there is anything wrong with teachers creating slideshows, websites, etc. for their class.  I just think that it is important to additionally give students the opportunity to do these kinds of things.  Here are some of the reasons why I think that allowing student to use tech tools/devices is important:

Skills and abilities
- To develop skills and abilities students need experience.  
Empowerment
- The Internet allows students to share their work with a wider audience.  Nothing is more empowering for students than having many people read their work.  
Engaging  
-  Using technology is exciting for students allowing them to be creative, communicate their ideas, and collaborate in different ways.  Here is an interesting article on how using technology can enhance engagement and learning for students at-risk.  
Memory
- If students create a slideshow, digital story, or video on  a topic it will involve synthesizing a large amount of information. This process will increase the likelihood of retention.  


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anne I think I might borrow this list when I start planning my internship lessons if that is alright with you! The post made me aware of how using technology can look like so many different things. My pre-internship sounded similar, I did this and I did that or I showed this. Your internship however is all student centered with them doing the discovering... do you feel any stress giving up that control over technology? I would be interested in hearing more about this it is one of my goals for internship.

Anne Plettenberg said...

I am glad that my list will be useful to you as you plan for your internship! I also appreciate your question and I think instead of responding in a comment, I am going to use it later to write a follow up post on this topic.

Unknown said...

Anne -
It's so important that you are thinking about what happens when the teacher relinquishes some control to the students. Creating student-driven activities is essential - but difficult! I love how you have already thought about how to develop students' skills/abilities and memory - and how to EMPOWER and ENGAGE them as well.

I challenge you to consider the role that reflection will play in your classroom. Developing meta-cognition and a deep understanding of processes is essential for students - even the younger ones! If structured properly, students' reflections can provide invaluable information that will inform your teaching and future lessons. I look forward to seeing what you create!

(@mmhoward)

Anne Plettenberg said...

Megan, I appreciate the feedback. I like what you said about having students be aware of meta-cognition. This will definitely be something to consider in my internship and teaching.

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger