Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

Using Technology in a Student-centered Way

Bookmark and Share

I have been thinking about how I want to incorporate technology into my upcoming internship.  In my pre-internship I incorporated technology into the classroom but did not do it in a way that involved the students.  I set up a blog, I showed video clips to enhance their learning, and I created an iMovie of their learning at the end of the three weeks.  I am not saying that I would have done anything differently.  In the context of my pre-internship these were appropriate ways to incorporate technology.  However, in my upcoming internship I want to work towards involving student more with technology.  Here are some of the possibilities I have come up with:

- Have students setup a classroom wiki, blog, or website.  
- Have students take pictures  
- Have students take video footage
- Have students create a digital story 
- Have students create a slideshow 
- Have students set up their own website, blog, wiki, or glog .  
- Have students use digital tools to create timelines, mind-maps, charts, comics, pamphlets, posters 
- Have students collaborate using a wiki or Google Docs
- Have students find interactive games to teach a concept or provide information
- Have students find video clips to teach a concept or provide information
- Have students use Internet resources to research a topic
- Have students set up a projector, Smarboard, etc.


Yes, I will be interning in a grade 3/4 classroom so some of the things I listed may be more appropriate for older children.  However, I think we often underestimate younger children who are becoming exposed to technology at a younger and younger age.  Kathy Cassidy's grade one class blogs regularly.    They use Class Blogmeister a great way site for blogging in primary classrooms.  So don't be scared to provide opportunities for young students to use computers and other tech devices. 


I don't think there is anything wrong with teachers creating slideshows, websites, etc. for their class.  I just think that it is important to additionally give students the opportunity to do these kinds of things.  Here are some of the reasons why I think that allowing student to use tech tools/devices is important:

Skills and abilities
- To develop skills and abilities students need experience.  
Empowerment
- The Internet allows students to share their work with a wider audience.  Nothing is more empowering for students than having many people read their work.  
Engaging  
-  Using technology is exciting for students allowing them to be creative, communicate their ideas, and collaborate in different ways.  * Here is an interesting article on how using technology can enhance engagement and learning for students at-risk.  
Memory
- If students create a slideshow, digital story, or video on  a topic it will involve synthesizing a large amount of information. This process will increase the likelihood of retention.  


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anne I think I might borrow this list when I start planning my internship lessons if that is alright with you! The post made me aware of how using technology can look like so many different things. My pre-internship sounded similar, I did this and I did that or I showed this. Your internship however is all student centered with them doing the discovering... do you feel any stress giving up that control over technology? I would be interested in hearing more about this it is one of my goals for internship.

Anne Plettenberg said...

I am glad that my list will be useful to you as you plan for your internship! I also appreciate your question and I think instead of responding in a comment, I am going to use it later to write a follow up post on this topic.

Unknown said...

Anne -
It's so important that you are thinking about what happens when the teacher relinquishes some control to the students. Creating student-driven activities is essential - but difficult! I love how you have already thought about how to develop students' skills/abilities and memory - and how to EMPOWER and ENGAGE them as well.

I challenge you to consider the role that reflection will play in your classroom. Developing meta-cognition and a deep understanding of processes is essential for students - even the younger ones! If structured properly, students' reflections can provide invaluable information that will inform your teaching and future lessons. I look forward to seeing what you create!

(@mmhoward)

Anne Plettenberg said...

Megan, I appreciate the feedback. I like what you said about having students be aware of meta-cognition. This will definitely be something to consider in my internship and teaching.

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger